The right cot bed mattress will ensure that your baby gets a good night sleep.Newborn babies spend around 16 – 18 hours asleep per day, so it’s important to purchase a safe and comfortable one.
A good quality of sleep is important for parents and babies but sourcing the right cot bed mattress can be a daunting task, with different types of mattresses on the market to choose from.
- It’s essential to assemble the dipan minimalis correctly before measuring for your mattress. Once it has been assembled, measure the interior length and width of the cot base.
- Cot mattresses come in two basic sizes. The standard (56x118cm) or continental (60x120cm).
- To keep the mattress as hygienic and clean as possible, why not choose one with a PVC-covering or a removable top panel that you can wash at a reasonably high temperature.
- It should be firm, with no sagging and fit the cot comfortably with no gaps.
- The space between the mattress and cot should be no more that 4cm, this is vital to prevent your baby from becoming trapped.
- The gaps between the bars should be less than 6.5cm.
- The base of most cot beds will have a stamp or sticker which will indicate the recommended size of cot bed mattress required.
- The mattress must conform to all the safety regulations and also meet fire regulations of the country you live in.
- It’s only advisable to buy a second-hand mattress if you know the history, if not purchase a new one.
- If you purchase a cot bed that is an unusual shape or size than the norm, you can get a mattress specially made it.
Types of Cot Bed Mattress
Foam – These mattresses normally have a PVC covering over the foam interior.
- Inexpensive, good value for money.
- Easy to clean.
- The PCV cover might be a concern to parents, as it can make babies clammy in hot weather.
- Some foam mattress have ventilated holes which can be difficult to clean, especially if a baby is sick the residues can be hard to clean when it gather in the holes.
Spring interior – These types of mattresses have a coiled spring unit underneath its non- PVC surface
- Provide excellent support.
- A long life span because they hold their shape well, a sensible purchase if you want to use the mattress for more than one child.
- They are heavy compared to their foam cot mattress counterpart hence making changing the beddings difficult.
- More expensive than foam mattresses
Fibre – This kind of mattress is most expensive and also longest lasting of the entire cot bed mattresses. This is due to the interior which are made from natural fibres like coconut fibre coated in latex.
Hypoallergenic: Has non allergenic inner core foam combined with an anti-allergenic and water resistant surface. Making it an excellent choice, if allergies or asthma are a concern in your family.
Cot bed Mattress Protector
A protector has several important functions: It prevents the exposure to dust mites, and also can increase sleeping comfort.
- Last longing protection against dust mites. This works by sealing in the dust mites, so the particles cannot become airborne.
- Waterproof protector help repel liquids. This is especially useful to prevent night-time wetting accidents that can stain and damage the cot bed mattress.